November 12, 2013

Slice of Life | First Note



Camp Taconic
Red Hook, New York
Summer 1992


When I was at Eastern Nazarene College, the president of the university challenged students to write an encouraging note to one other person. A slip of paper with enough space for a couple sentences was put in the mailbox of all students. I later received one from a Jim Druart. Someone I didn't know very well, but was going to be working with at Camp Taconic over the coming summer. The rest of the group all knew each other, except for me. He said he was looking forward to getting to know me better and would be praying for me as we finished the school year.  

I, Mrs. Jim Druart, still have that note.





7 comments:

  1. Oh, I love, love, love this! You brought a big smile to my face first thing in the morning! What a lovely post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great first official slice! I love a little romance first thing in the morning! Words really do matter! When my boys were teenagers, my pastor encouraged parents to start affirmation journals, where we wrote something encouraging to them every day or two. I didn't do it every day, but I sure felt better on the days I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great slice. I did not expect the ending but smiled as I read this wonderful tale of how writing leads to romance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goosebumps!!!! I just love this story and the way you unfolded it! Wonderful!! Love the ending, too - words matter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the story...and the way you told it. Words do matter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, yes they do. Words fuel stories and stories fuel meaning which fuels feeling and that is why you kept those words for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet story! Love the simplicity, but the power of words!

    And you wrote your FIRST slice of life! Yeah, welcome! Don't the comments fuel you? It's such a wonderful community that you will continue to know and love through words. Because words matter. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here.