November 25, 2021

Sharing Our Stories | backbone

Recently I shared this story with a co-worker who is an EA in my classroom. She couldn't stop laughing. We've worked together before, so she knows me well and what it is like in our classroom community.

I'm not sure how well I can capture the moment here, but I will try.

A few years ago, I had a little friend who was going through a lot, and my EA for another student was supporting her the most. We kept in touch with home and had meetings with others who were supports in their lives.

One morning I had a short email from her mom saying there were never any problems at home and never any problems at daycare so why did her child have problems at school. I knew this wasn't true, but I know folks go through hard times and have difficult days.

Not too long after reading the email, her little one arrived and decided to color. She started up a little conversation that went like this -

   B: What is a back bone?

(I knew instantly what was coming but went with it.)

   Me: It's found in your back.

   B: Does everyone have a backbone?

   Me: Oh yes, everyone has a backbone.

   B: Do you have a back bone?

   Me: Yes.

   B: My mom says you don't have a backbone!

Kids say the darndest things! Wink!


Sharing Our Stories


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for being here.