May 6, 2021

Sharing Our Stories | my akr inspired posts

A couple days ago, I was asked about my Amy Krouse Rosenthal posts and what the history was behind them. As I thought back to how they began, I decided to make it my story this week.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

When I read the news that morning in March 2017, people were grieving and writing beautiful words about Amy Krouse Rosenthal. I then read the letter she wrote about her husband. It touched my heart. (Later, my cousin sent the actual newspaper to me. I'm grateful to have it in my keepsakes.) 

I read more and more about her online and she sounded so wonderful. I didn't think I knew who she was, but then I realized she was the author of "Little Pea" which I read to my students. 

I ordered her book, "Textbook", and I connected with the way she wrote. I found myself thinking about my own life. I felt inspired. She helped me see so many things to write about and how I, too, could write a textbook and use school subjects to organize stories, thoughts and experiences.

I also found her accounts on Instagram and Twitter. Her photos and words inspired me there as well. Project 1,2,3 is one of my favorites!

I soon had her book, "Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life", in my hands and I was drawn to the way she used words found in an encyclopedia to write about her life. As a person who likes to write short and simple (and as a rambler that is surprising to my family I'm sure), her books reminded me that that's okay!

Amy seemed so loving, kind, fun, creative, and genuine. I love how she spoke of her family and how she brought people together to do good things for others.

When I started the journey, I chose akr inspired as my heading and began counting them. (I like headings for my posts. I like order. And I wanted them to show the connection to Amy.) Since August 1, 2017, I have written over 400 akr inspired posts. 

Amy's words in books (and pictures and videos and posts and tweets) have been a blessing in my life. They've helped me be a story saver and a memory saver.


4 comments:

  1. I had loved her Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life, and I got Textbook after she passed away. I am still so sad at what the world lost when she left. Her writing was so unique and wonderful. I really love how you have been writing like her, and your idea of writing like her about teaching...I'm considering how I could do that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had known her. What a beautiful person and family.

      Thank you for being here. I love reading your posts.

      One of the things I did was write on sticky notes and put them in the book as ideas came to mind.

      L

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this. I am also thinking about how I could best use her inspiration...and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful, Leigh Anne!

      One of the things I did was write on sticky notes and put them in the book as ideas came to mind.

      Thank you for asking me how it all started!

      xo

      Delete

Thank you for being here.