1. Petunia by Roger Duvoisin
Petunia thinks she is wise because she has a book, but she soon learns that she needs to read the book. My favorite line is when she says, "Now I understand it was not enough to carry wisdom under my wing. I must put it in my mind and in my heart. And to do that I must read."
2. Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen
My eyes always fill up with tears when I read this precious book about a lion who loves going to the library. When faced with a decision, he does the right thing.
3. A Visitor for Bear by Bonnie Becker
At first, Bear doesn't think he wants any visitors. The mouse keeps showing up and an unexpected friendship grows. This book is so much fun to read aloud!
4. Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel
A beautiful story about a tree that has been a loyal family member over the years. It's heart-moving! (We have a hedge that we could name Steve!)
5. Stuck by Oliver Jeffers
A story about a boy who gets his kite (and many other things) stuck in a tree. The response to this book was hilarious! My students were in hysterics every time we read it!
6. The Sandwich Swap by Queen Rania Al Abdullah & Kelly Dipucchio
A sweet book about friendship and how two friends learn to appreciate their differences.
7. Tacky the Penguin by Helen Lester
Tacky is very different from the other penguins! Not only is Tacky hilarious, he is a very brave penguin.
8. Don't Let the Pigeons Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems
The pigeon tries to persuade us to let him drive the bus! My students can never get enough of the pigeon books!
9. All the Places to Love by Patricia MacLachlan
We enjoy this book when we are talking about special places in our lives. The paintings are breath-taking!
10. Equal Shmequal by Virginia Kroll
With a teeter-totter, the animals learn what it means to be equal. It's a favorite book in our math workshop!