May 20, 2014

Slice of Life | U2 Concert



On July 30, 2011, thousands gathered in Moncton for the final show of U2's 360 Tour! While I am not much of a concert girl, I wanted to go with Jim who is a U2 fan. It was an outstanding concert and there are many things, little and big, I still remember.

- We had brunch with our family concert-goers at Aunt Carole's house. Mom dressed up and crashed the party! What a hoot!

- My cousins, Dan and Glenda, went earlier in the day and stood in the rain. When the gates were opened, they ran across the field to get a spot close to the platform. They are the bikers and runners of our family!

- Aunt Carole dropped us off with Melodie and Karrilee. It was interesting to walk along the road and see the many people making their way to the concert site.

- It rained before the concert so the fields were wet. As we left, there was mud everywhere. (I'm pretty sure the girls who wore flip flops and skirts had second thoughts about their choices!)  I was thankful that Jim and I found a spot in the inside area where there was gravel. We didn't even notice the mud!

- We were beside the sound booth which had a platform in front of it. We noticed the opening band watching U2 from there and then we saw Pierce Brosnan!

- It warmed my heart whenever Bono spoke of God.

- It was so calm and quiet as thousands left the concert site.

- With so many people, we planned to meet my sister and cousin at a certain spot on the road for the walk back. There were 95 000 people and it amazed me that as we went back through the gates, they ended up right behind us.

It was a day full of memories and incredible entertainment, but I think one of the most memorable moments happened on the way home. It took an hour to walk to our car which was parked at Aunt Carole's house. I had worn my old rubber boots while we were at the concert but for walking, I wore my sneakers. Jim carried my boots for the entire walk. Love carries my dirty rubber boots for an hour.




12 comments:

  1. Great slice. How lucky you were to be there with people that matter. Love this: "Love carries my dirty rubber boots for an hour."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful slice. Don't you just love it when an experience is in the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I'm not much of a rock concert goer but I have loved U2 concerts. I'm remembering some of my adventures, inspired by yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it brought back memories for you! :0)

      Delete
  4. You created an interesting concert collage with the snippets and pictures. Your last sentence is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Terje, thank you.
      I like how you called it a collage with snippets and pictures!
      ...Jim is amazing.

      Delete
  5. Your slice was so evovative - I remember seeing U@ when they first came to the US - scruffy and unkempt, but oh so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took my daughter to a U2 concert so long ago, but it was fun! This day sounds wonderful, & like Julieanne, I love that final line! 95000 people is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was amazed at how calm it was with so many people going and coming!
      Thank you, Linda! I like that last line too!

      Delete

Thank you for being here.