December 30, 2013

Five Years Ago | Part 3


I remember

I remember the ER doctor couldn't believe that the young man that came in on Boxing Day morning survived. A week after the accident, he came up to neuro to see James for himself.

I remember running into the nurse that James had the first day. We were in the rehab unit and she told James that she had spent that first day preparing his family for his death.

I remember how James didn't forget anything before the accident. He even remembered going to the principal's office on the first day of kindergarten!

I remember the countless visits from family and friends in the hospital. Just sitting with us brought comfort.

I remember the many meals and snacks brought to us during the long days at the hospital.  Until you have a loved one spend a lengthy time in the hospital, it's hard to know how much those acts of kindness mean.

I remember the night I saw Carolyn and Lisa at the door of the family waiting room. I pretty much pushed Karrilee's brother-in-law onto the floor to get to them. It was a little squishy on the couch in the family waiting room. We still giggle about that one!

I remember Lorne and Cindy helping us with the kids that first 48 hours.

I remember Elizabeth coming home early from Plaster Rock to be here if we needed her.

I remember Jim's patience and understanding when I was at the hospital.

I remember calls and emails always coming at the right time.

I remember the kindness of the neurosurgeon, Dr. Adams.

I remember the incredible care of the nurses in neuro.

I remember watching James sing along with the radio with friends. He knew every lyric.

I remember many friends around James, but there were three that really stood out. Pete and his roommates sat with him, walked with him, laughed with him, encouraged him, pushed him...

I remember seeing Dale carry James (over 6 feet) back to the bed.

I remember the laughter and tears I shared with his Aunt Wendy and Aunt Janet.

I remember most of all, how strong Dale and Karrilee were through it all.

.................................................................................................................

On February 20th, eight weeks after the accident, James walked out of the hospital and went home. God's hand on his life was so evident. I believe James would not be alive without God and the power of prayer. The prayers, from all over, moved heaven and earth for him.

Today James is a university graduate and driving across Canada at this very moment.


2 comments:

  1. The power of prayer is amazing no matter if you are the recipient or simply a participant. It benefits all who are involved. I also know the appreciation felt for snacks and food while enduring a hospital stay for a loved one. Those snacks absolutely make all the difference in the world! I love how you used this piece of writing to capture all of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcie, how sweet of you to be here. Thank you.
      The power amazes me too.

      Delete

Thank you for being here.