March 30, 2014

Slice of Life | Day 30


Grampie & Mom


My mom says she wasn't a good cook when she was first married and that she had to learn over time. We still sit down to a meal and hear her tell us what is wrong with almost everything she cooked. It's always funny to see and hear Dad's reaction! He thinks she is the best cook in the world! (He learned from the stew incident!)

Mom the cook and Dad the dish washer spoil us every Sunday after church and every Tuesday evening. We love going home for a delicious meal and some crazy conversation. They are beyond good to us.

If possible, Annie, Eliza and Ethan would go every day (and try to)! In my journal, I have some favorite lines about Mammie...

...I overheard Annie (age 7) saying to her friend, Mackenzie, "Mammie can make anything at anytime."

...Eliza (age 3) wanted to make ginger cookies. When I told her that I didn't know how, she said, "Mammie knows how. Mammie can do anything."

...After telling me that I didn't make the cheese bread like Mammie, I jokingly said, "I know! I know! Mammie does everything right!"  Ethan (age 9) replied, "Duh! She's Mammie!"

It's all true! There isn't anything Mammie can't do in the kitchen!

......................................................................................................................

Mom has been making chocolate sauce for our ice cream since we were little!  I have made it since my college days and it makes a sweet gift in a mason jar. It's probably the only thing I can do in the kitchen like my mom...I have not yet inherited her cooking skills! (Sorry, Jim!)

Mom says the recipe came from the Yarmouth Bluenose Cook Book (1965).

Chocolate Sauce
Melt 1/2 cup margarine
Then add 3 cups white sugar
Add 1 cup cocoa...
(I discovered that Hershey cocoa makes the sauce even better!)
Mix all together 
Then add 1 can evaporated milk
Keep stirring and bring to a boil!

Enjoy!





14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! Sounds like you have amazing family times over meals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you had to pick one thing to be able to do like Mammie, I think you picked the right one! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh...this sounds wonderful. I am assuming you refrigerate it? With the weather warming up, sounds like a treat I might have to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!
      It's good with ice cream or just on a spoon! Wink!

      Delete
  4. And "just on a spoon" is my favorite way to enjoy chocolate sauce. My recipe came from family friends in Nebraska when we visited there many years ago. I head to CA for spring break week after next to visit my sister who inherited Mom's cooking skills. Time to start thinking up my food requests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the best way, I agree! :0)
      How fun to be heading to CA to visit your sister!

      Delete
  5. Thank you!!! I sent this off to my daughter, a chocoholic...and she's at it already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Tara! Hearing that makes me happy!

      Delete
  6. I will have to try this recipe. Somehow homemade sounds better than store bought. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very easy and much better! Wink!

      Delete
  7. This is a wonderful post, Loralee! You have combined the warmth within your family with traditions and recipes--you've even linked to other posts! (I got the stew reference and I'm glad he learned!) I love the reflections of your children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiling. Thank you, Melanie. You are a ray of sunshine!

      Delete

Thank you for being here.