March 28, 2014

Slice of Life | Day 28



Back in 2011, the Two Writing Teachers introduced me to chartchums. It is a blog that has helped me countless times. The teaching and visuals, shared by Marjorie Martinelli & Kristine Mraz, are superb!

A couple years ago in grade 4, I made the above chart for my students. The idea came straight from chartchums...


For my class, I changed the word "post-its" to "thinkmarks" which was something I was using from  Aimee Buckner's "Notebook Connections: Strategies for the Reader's Notebook".

On Twitpic, I have uploaded a number of my classroom photos, including this one. From there, I often pin them to my Pinterest board. Something I always try to do is share where an idea comes from. With Pinterest, the words under a pinned photo are often changed. Thankfully, if a person does click the photo it will take them to Twitpic where they will see the link.

I'm grateful for what I learn from other teachers through blogs. Today, as I revisited chartchums on November 6, 2011, I noticed that the idea came from a guest blogger that day.

Thank you, Alyssa Newman, for sharing.




14 comments:

  1. I love this idea. Even for high school kids, it could get them in the mindset of commenting on work with emoticons and things like that. More stuff like that = more engagement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great for high school too! :0)

      Delete
  2. The ladies at ChartChums are amazing - so creative and clever about using visuals to make kid think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Chartchums! Their book is wonderful, as welll--so full of great ideas and pictures. I was really compulsive about my Pinterest boards for a while and I need to get my Pinterest energy back. You've given me a good post in that direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the books I dream of owning! :)

      Delete
  4. Chartchums is new to me. Thanks for sharing! And for being so conscientious about crediting others. It gets more and more difficult as we get things from the internet, but so worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It isn't always easy with findings on the internet!

      Delete
  5. I follow chartschum blog and like to use Pinterest. I know you discovered your chart on one of my boards. At one point I was worried about using Pinterest (http://justforamonth.blogspot.com/2012/03/dark-side-of-pinterest.html) Now I use it sometimes. I try to include the blog names, but I am not consistent with it. Reading your post reminds me to credit the creators of the materials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I need to go read your entry!
      I was so tickled to see something I made on your board! :0)
      For my own photos, I always try to give credit when I know who gave me the idea for my classroom...but for photos I repin on Pinterest, it's pretty much impossible. What comforts me is that clicking on the photo will usually take me to the original blog or website!

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed the "Think Marks." I like to write along side my grandchildren after my retirement from teaching writing workshop--WW saved my teaching life and me! Thanks for reading a post of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! ...How wonderful that you write along side your grandchildren!

      Delete

Thank you for being here.