February 3, 2015

Slice of Life | My Classroom Photos


With another storm day, I was taking some time to sit and read #TWTBlog tweets. (Instant PD from incredible teachers!) I was pleasantly surprised to see one of my classroom photos! It was tweeted by Fran McVeigh to share a Lucy Calkins' message. I made this little poster for my grade 4 students about five years ago. It became tattered so I made another and laminated it last year. It is something we believe and say regularly during our writing workshop!



I had not posted any photos from my classroom in a long time so I went to Twitpic today and discovered it had been shut down last fall! A thoughtful message from the creator shared the reasons why and there is a way to export the photos. (I'm not sure what that means. I will be asking Jim!) Twitpic was where I posted and saved my classroom photos over the years. From there I pinned some of them, but it was where I posted them first.  I liked Twitpic, because I didn't have a blog and it brought people to the original source if they found the photos on Pinterest. (On Twitpic, the photo Fran shared had been viewed 10,363 times!)  It also showed people where I got my ideas as that information is often erased as images are repinned. 

As I looked through my photos on Twitpic, I saw things I have changed...things I would like to change...things I forgot about...things we did in grade 4, grade 3, grade 6, grade 2 and in other roles...

The photos also brought back memories of special moments in those schools and in those classrooms...So many precious co-workers and students...

Hmm...With Twitpic gone, I wonder where I should save my classroom photos now.




10 comments:

  1. Here is a great place to post your pics as well! Isn't it wonderful to look back and see the changes in our lives and in our classrooms! And to have that many views for your pics, there has to be something special in your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can never get too comfortable with sites. They seem to come and go. I save everything just in case in lots of spots. But we can't seem to stay wedded to what we put out there. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that you get to export your photos safely. It would be very sad if you lost the history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loralee, I am big proponent of I Can Statements so I gravitated to your posters right away. These statements help children focus on the task at hand and grow as learners who reflect on their mastery of the I can targets. Thanks for sharing and I hope you can catalog all of your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's to the safe return of those pictures...I lost a bunch of mine from my first years of teaching, and the memory still makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The words on your posters are ones I try to get kindergarten teachers to embrace with their students. Too often the kids think they can't be writers, but this shows them the way. Good luck with saving your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you share some of those pics, too, and hope you find a good spot for them. Buy an external hard drive. That's one safer place. I love the chart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I favorited this pic Fran tweeted! Love that it was yours. Very powerful message! I hope you are able to get your pictures back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the comments. Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here.